Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Germphobia 2010

My poor hubbs has a killer cold.  I feel super bad for him, only because he NEVER gets sick and when he does he is a giant baby and falls hard.  This is not boding well for me in my quest to stay healthy for the next 12 days.  Not only do I work with the public every day in my office (you should see the paperwork they turn in! I do NOT want to know what they are doing when they are filling out our organizer!!) I now have to contend with a sick hubbs who is leaving his snotty kleenex everywhere and taking a zillion showers a day (that's his cure-all for everything, 5 hot showers in a day!) and using up every last clean towel in the house.  Like I don't have enough laundry to fit into my already tight schedule!  I now have a giant load of towels to add the mix! Oy vey!

These words may or may not have come out of my mouth last night as we were going to sleep, "Quit breathing on me! I have the Boston marathon to run in 12 days!  Roll OVER!"  He obliged and spent the rest of the night breathing on the dog instead of me.  I have been washing my hands like crazy, to the point that they are dry and chapped :(  But I'll be damned if I get sick!  And every client that comes into my office I have to shake their hands. Is it rude to reach for the Purel right away?  Or should I do it when their backs are turned?  I just cannot.get.sick!

I have also been downing this stuff like it's going out of business!  I should probably buy stock in the company since I am sure sales have sky-rocketed from me alone in the last week :)
I mix two packets in a water bottle and chug!  Every time I drink it I imagine I'm in Willie Wanka's secret factory stealing a sip of the Fizzy Lifting Drink!  If you haven't tried this stuff or heard of it, it's 1,000mg of Vitamin C that tastes amazing.  You can buy it at Safeway/Vons or good old Trader Joes.  The stuff tastes amazing and I swear it's going to keep me healthy for the next couple of weeks (or at least that is what I'm telling myself).  I mix two packets at at time - you can't OD on vitamin C, can you? LOL!

In running news, my new shoes are working great!!!  I am in love!  I took them out for their first run on the gym treadmill (it was raining out!  I wasn't going to ruin my new shoes!) and for the first time in over a week my knees weren't aching.  I guess I was right, my Lunar Glides needed to be retired :(  I had a great speed work session and started off the week strong.
7 miles 52:52   7:33/mi pace.  I did notice the difference in my heel weight, and I did kick myself a few times as they feel just a tad heavier, but overall I'm so glad I gave these a shot.  I have a feeling they will be just what I need come April 19th.

Yesterday I headed home at lunch to get my run on.  Late nights are kind-of mandatory for the next couple of weeks until the end of tax season so I need to squeeze my run in when I can.  I went home and the temps were perfect!  64 with a slight breeze!  I only had time for a quick run since I had a client meeting at 2.  And I am NOT one of those runners who can just towel off with a few baby wipes and head back to the office.  No, I am a sweaty, stinky mess after just a few miles.  So I am forced to fit in a shower.  It was so nice to break the day up this way and I think this will me my new plan for the next 9 days of the tax season.
4 miles  30:00  7:30/mi pace.  I ran quick and had no idea that it was that quick.  My legs felt strong and light and I have a feeling I would be a great lunch time runner all the time.  I felt well fueled, rested and ready.  The only thing is, and I don't know if any of you who might run at lunch experience this, but I was a HUNGRY, HUNGRY HIPPO when I got back to work and for the rest of the day!  I inhaled my lunch and wanted more!  I packed extra food for today so that I don't end up like that again!



Today I am going to make sure I have enough time to get in 6 on my lunch.  It may mean I stay even later at work, but I gotta do what I gotta do.  I just keep telling myself, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..."   As it was, I didn't leave the office last night until well after 8pm and I had started at 6am!  Hell, it's 6:50 am right now and I'm back at work!  I got in again at 6!  I feel bad I can't take better care of Ari or Lilly, but only a few short more days and I'll be off for 2 weeks!  Whoo hoo!

Hope this Hump Day treats you all well.  I'm off to catch up on a few blogs before my day really gets going :)
Happy Wednesday and Happy Running peeps!

25 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

I love that you are posting from work. Classic! Glad the new shoes are working out. Stay healthy!

B.o.B. said...

Uh, I think we are sister's from another mother. Hungry hippos is my line. And you love Summer of George too? Yup. Definitely related.

You won't get sick until after Boston. I am predicting it. You'll do great! Woot!

Ginny M said...

Keep popping the vitamin C and using the hand sanitizer. It wouldn't hurt to make your hubby sleep on the couch :)

Stay well and happy running!

Emily said...

I would make him sleep on the couch! I am also DOWNING emergenc for the next 12 days and I still can't get rid of my cough! UGH. Good luck staying healthy!

Anonymous said...

happy wednesday!
i love emergen-C. i believe in the power of vitamin C. i sometimes mix it into my green monsters and it tastes delicious!!!!

Denise said...

keep washing those hands and get lots o' sleep!!! don't stress, that will just weaken your immune system.

Sarah said...

OMG I almost spit out my coffee when I read about you telling Ari not to breathe on you! HA No getting sick before Boston and that is that! ;)

Nice work on the lunch runs. You are speedy!!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I think there is a mandatory waiting period after the hand shake of 60 seconds before you grap the Purel.

My hubbs believes in Vit C too. He keeps trying to get me using it too.

Nice job on your lunch runs! I am a quick sweater too. No way I could not take a shower even after a short run.

Tax season is almost over! Hang in there!

Pining for Pinterest said...

I would do the same thing with making my husband turn over :) I love that Vitamin C stuff, it really helps!!

teacherwoman said...

Sometimes, the harder i try not to get sick, I do. It's so annoying. I have yet to try Emergen-C, but have heard really good things. I think that if you keep your fluids up, particularly water, you should be able to keep whatever the hubs has at bay... I know that makes a huge difference for me!

Tara said...

Most men are just huge babies when they are sickI I think it's just a fact of life. :)

I'm sending positive "germs be gone" thoughts your way girlie! We can't have you getting sick, maybe you should wear one of those little masks. Te he. And yes, while I feel your pain, it would be rude (funny, but rude) to reach for the purel after shaking someones hand! I got a visual of you doing that though and it's making me laugh. :)

Katie said...

see, now, I'm not running at all and I'm a hungry hungry hippo! easter bunny candy has no calories, right? either that or, well, by eating it, at least it's getting out of the house. :)

stay healthy!

Jill said...

I don't even mix EmergenC with water, I open the packet and down the powder then take a drink. Get it in there and working, baby....no time to mix and drink all day! I live with hand sanitizer attached to my hip. My daughter swears it does no good and I'm doing more harm than good, but that crap has to be killing something aside from skin cells cuz I accidently ate some and it was horrid. I say wear a mask, you're health is more important than some measly clients right now. ;)

HUGS!!!

Jill said...

And of course I used the wrong form of "You're" and it should be "your" - eeks. Sorry. Sorry I'm so anal, too. Hahahaha. Just pre-race nerves.

T.A.O said...

I am a lunch-time runner and I am always starving after. Lately I have been eating a bigger breakfast. This might all be in my head, but if I include yogurt I am not as hungry, and my runs tend to be smoother.

Also, my garmin and your garmin are twins. Does yours lose satelite often? Mine has been lately and it's pissing me off! : )

Heather said...

Last week I almost punched a lady who leaned in really close to my face and asked me if I could try to get her case called earlier because she had the flu. When it comes to germ exposure or rudeness, I always take rudeness!

Stay healthy!

N.D. said...

ah, I hate when that happens. I feel like running helps me not to get sick though (and good eating) - hope that you beat the bug and it avoids you!

Jo Lynn said...

I'm sorry your hubby is sick. Men are babies when they get sick. Sorry, but they just are. When Keith or I get sick, we just shack up in the spare bedroom. ;)

I know I say this a lot but DAMN GIRL, YOU ARE FAST!!! Pretty cool how your Garmin says 30.00 and 4.00.

May it is then - you and me, running the trails together.

Teamarcia said...

I swear if the Caveman was sick I'd make him sleep on another level of the house! But he's outta town so no worries.
Glad the new shoes are cooperating!

Jess said...

Get plenty of rest, keep that hubby breathing on the dog instead of you, and you'll be fine!

ajh said...

I used Emergenc a couple days ago and felt it really helped!

I would stay longer at work if I could get in a good run at lunch!

Stay well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robyn said...

Just found your blog through TMB. Love Emergen-c, I take it whenever I feel the sickies coming on. Glad to find another lunchtime runner as well :)

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Oh and I left you something on my post today!

Marathon Maritza said...

Excellent runs, girl!!!!

Good luck staying healthy and hope your hubs feels better soon! I love that emergen-C stuff too and swear by it! However, your body can only absorb a limited amount of vitamin C at a time, so you are better off doing one packet at a time, over a longer period of time. Just a tip :)

Anonymous said...

Sending stay healthy vibes!!!