Monday, May 10, 2010

FOUND!

Wanted:  2 running legs that are springy, happy and fast!  Looking for a good time to run races, hill repeats and spend some time at the track.  Need not be tan or good looking, just ready to have a good time and prepare for marathon #7!

Well, I found my running legs and mojo this weekend and I couldn't be more excited!  I really took the week easy and started focusing more on my core as I really would like to make it a daily exercise even as I tackle my next marathon training phase which will start in the middle of June.  I think what helped also was only having to work 2 days last week, it's amazing what you can accomplish when you don't have a silly job to worry about!

Friday when I got home from work I really, really had the urge to run.  All week I wanted to run, but when I would start running it was still feeling like a chore.  More than anything it was my tired body and legs, not my want for running.  So when I came home on Friday and I wanted nothing more than a hot, sweaty run I went for it.  The new YMCA I joined last week is exactly 3 miles from my house.  My plan was to run there, go in and do my core, run a fast 2 miles and then head home for an easy 3 miles to finish the day.  The first 3 miles to the gym was straight into the wind!  I HATE WIND!  But I told myself at least I could negative split on the way home!  By the time I got there I was a little spent and thinking I was being a little over zealous with my workout plan.  But I hit the treadmill and just started running.  The awesome thing about the treadmills at the Y is that they have TV's attached to them!  Whoo hoo!  I love TV.  I put it on TLC and watched an episode of Say Yes to the Dress - I always want to get married again after I watch that! LOL!  The next thing I knew though was I had ran 3.05 miles!  Uh oh!  So I made it an even 5K and jumped off to do my core work.

All week I have been tackling the core work and my abs and core are sore!  But, they say that your abs are the only muscle you can work everyday and my hubbs was assuring me that it will get less painful.  I tackled a great core workout, felt like a bad ass and headed back out for my final 3.  I thought about calling my mom to pick me up, but being the little environmentalist that I am couldn't justify her driving all that way.  So I manned up and hit the pavement.  I was surprised my legs felt pretty good.  And I did negative split on the way home!
1st 3 miles  24:51  8:17/mi
Treadmill - 3.1 miles  24:07 7:47/mi
2nd 3 miles  24:00  8:00/mi
total 9.1 miles   1:12:58  8:01/mi

I was exhausted by the time I got home but it felt awesome to finally get a good run under my belt.  I hadn't felt that good about a run in a few weeks and I knew that it was probably just what I needed.

Saturday I got up early with my mom to go to Sacramento and see my little nephew play in his little league game.  Man, they are so cute at 7 & 8 out playing baseball.  Even though they don't keep score, his team won making for one proud Auntie!

My William and Mom after the game!

By the time we got home that afternoon I was not feeling like a run or any core work.  But I knew I would regret it if I just sat on the couch and vegged out.  So I laced up my shoes and ran a quick four miles and came home to do my core work.  There is just something about doing 200 crunches and a billion planks to make you feel so bad ass!  I was so glad I got this done and by the time I was done my hubbs was home :)
4 miles  32:04  8:04/mi

Sunday was a crappy weather here in the Bay Area.  Wind, rain and cold!  I was all set to get up and run before Mass but it was raining and windy. Boo!  So I vowed to get it done in the afternoon.  Let me say this first, running with a stomach full of pancakes is not a good idea!  By the time I hit the road that afternoon my stomach was angry!  So I decided to see just how far I could make it before I yelled mercy!  You want to know what is awful about having to stop during a run to use the bathroom?  No, it's not the creepy Indian guy behind the gas station counter hitting on you.  And no, it's not even the dirty gas station bathroom itself.  It's the fact that you have to peel the sweaty ass gasket paper off your butt in the dirty gas station bathroom and then return the key back to the dirty gas station attendant who then hits you with this gem, "you have a very nice body, I like!" Uh yeah, thanks for letting me use the bathroom.  Ugh!  So, needless to say, I only made it about 2.75 miles before I had to use the bathroom and turn around and go home!  I did feel a ton better on the way home but it was windy and wet and I got my run done!
5.5 miles 43:03  7:49/mi

So, I ended my week strong and I can tell my running mojo is back :)  I even signed up for a fun trail race on May 23 right next to my house!  It starts on a trail that is up the hill from where I do my hill repeats.  I signed up for the 25K but I may end up dropping to the 10K since I didn't really read the course description all that closely!  It's rated difficult but scenic! Ha!  If any of you Bay Area bloggy people would like to join me it's 5 mins from my house and we could have a post run lunch at my pad when we're all done!  Just email me after you take a look at the link and let me know :)  It's cheap and easy to get to.

I hope you all had a great weekend and a ton of you rocked some great races out there!  Congrats Beth on your BQ!  I can't wait to hang with you in Beantown :)
Happy Monday and Happy Running peeps!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

great workout!
i always considered running to the gym, but never actually done it before.

and all ur talk about core and abs makes me think of all the lack of core that i have been doing. must get back to it!!!

happy running!

Katie said...

200 crunches? You're completely insane. I've been doing all of this core/hip work, but it's more stabilizing than actual ab work & I know I need to start doing the crunches too. I'm scared.

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Yay for finding your mojo and for the core work. It's only going to make you a stronger runner. If that's even possible, superstar!

Denise said...

so glad the mojo is back!!

i need to start doing more core work. I get it in a few times a week but need to be more strict with it.

Sarah said...

Wow you are a crazy woman! Glad to hear you found your mojo, can you help me find mine now? ;)

Anonymous said...

There is no better feeling than the return of the mojo! Sweet.

Ewa said...

I agree, work is highly overrated.

Santa Teresa Park race! Good hills, nice views, not that much shade, but you know all this, right? Boy, you are going to have fun. Wish I could join but I am still not happy with Mr. Achilles.

I avoid gas station bathrooms like a plague. Give me McDonald's or Starbucks anytime. There are not enough of them where I run though.

Jill said...

Saaawwwweeeet! So glad you're running happy and alive again! I'm not quite there but I do at least feel motivated! And you'll getta see Beth sooner than Boston when you come out for that half in August, remember??? :). Ahhhh, I miss you so much...let's chat this week, okay? Did you get my text yesterday??? Glad you had an awesome weekend, those are the best :).
Mucho hugs!

Lori said...

I totally need to do more crunches and planks and feel all bad ass like you.

Also, "ass gasket" ha! Haven't heard that one since middle school! YES! : D

RunToTheFinish said...

dude you stole my mojo, give it back :) Ok fine we can both have mojo, but tell me where yours was because I think mine is hangning out there now!!

I started to find that lifting heavy weights is really working my abs

Bethany + Ryan said...

wow, great runs, fast paces! i'm glad to hear your running mojo is back!!

Angela and David said...

That gas station experience is classic! Love it.

And glad you've got your legs back. Be good to them so that they'll give you a kick ass marathon.

Jess said...

Glad you found your mojo!

Melinda said...

Wish I had mojo that fast! Do you ever run with your dogs are are you too fast? If so, I would love to include you in a post I'm writing on the benefits of running with dogs. Check out my web site or email!

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling better! Ohhh trail race. Too bad I can't do that weekend :(

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear your legs are back!!

Love the new background!

Jen Feeny said...

Sooooo glad you found your mojo! I knew you would!!!

N.D. said...

yay that your legs are back! I like the new background!

ajh said...

Sounds like a good run! It was cold here too.

Teamarcia said...

So glad you found your mojo--now if you see mine hanging around please send it packing back here!
You have a nice body--EEEK!

Jo Lynn said...

First, I just want to say, it's hard to read the dark text on the dark colored background. I'm just sayin'.

I'm glad you found your legs again. That's so maddening when you head out to run and BAM, dead legs! Blah.

If I have the 23rd off (which I doubt,since I have the 22nd off and I usually have to work ONE weekend day) I will see about doing the 10k down your way. Aron is meeting me at Garin on the 22nd for some trail fun and I would love it if you could join us. ;)

Aron said...

yayyyy glad you found your legs again :)

MCM Mama said...

Yay! for the return of your mojo!!! Way to go on the core work too. I really need to get back on that.

Layla said...

Oooh, another option for May 23! PCTR has a trail run that day, too, which I had originally planned to do with a couple friends. But then there's Aron's bloggy meetup. Aaaah, too many decisions!

Meanwhile, it sounds like you've recovered well. Nice!

Jill said...

btw, have you ever noticed MY blog isn't on your blogroll? Hum. I think it's time for me to be a big crybaby!