Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Verdict

Sorry to say, even though I went to the doctor yesterday, I still have no idea what/was causing my craptastic week.  But I got you pulled in, didn't I?  Sneaky, no?  Anywhoo, she did sound a bit alarmed by all the things that went wrong, given I'm usually pretty healthy and in pretty good shape.  She ordered up some blood tests, and 8 viles later, I'll get the news at the end of the week.  If they're good, no need to go back and to chalk it up as just an off week.  If they're not so good, she'll call me back in by Friday and we'll discuss it together in her office.  Fingers crossed it was just a bad week.

This week is a ton better.  My energy is still not fab, but I think I have figured out how to get around the tummy troubles.  I eat my pre-running meal at least 2 hours before, chug some Pepto and chew a couple of ginger candies.  Yes, a ton of planning, but so far it has kept me from feeling like I'm going to puke.  I'll take it as progress.  Hopefully by the end of the week I can wean myself off this stuff:
On the running front, I have done some good miles already.  Monday I decided I wanted to hang out with Doug, so off to the gym I went.  Yes, it has been beautiful here and the temps absolutely perfect, but I knew some cross training was in order.  This time, I went longer than I had the last few times and that Doug really worked me!  I chose an interval training session and most of it was out of the saddle!  Can you say, holy sore quads!  I guess I have weak quads (that's for you Katie)!  I also was listening more to Doug this time and he says some pretty funny stuff.  For example, he constantly reminds you "this is your ride, own it," or "feel that sweat dripping off of you!"  Really?  I should be sweating?  I knew I was doing something wrong.  Also, the music is hilarious!  One of the disco mixes is to the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies!  Yes, that Christmas song!  WTF?  Or, some mixed up version of an AC/DC song when he wants you to push hard.  I can't say I love his taste in music, but he sure knows how to work a girl out!  And finally, he ends the ride with a good old, hands in prayer position, saying "Namaste."  He's spiritual, too.

After my ass kicking on the bike, I headed over to the treadmill to get a good BRICK in.  I LOVE doing these, you feel like such a bad ass when you're done.  I started out slow to let my legs and hips warm up and by mile two I was back at MP.  I finished up the run with a 10K and 17.21 miles on the spinner.  Nice way to start the week.  And in good news, my stomach behaved itself.  I was starving by the time I was done (literally I think my stomach was caving in!), but I think that was due to the fact that I had eaten so long before and I had spent almost two hours working out.  Needless to say, I enjoyed a brownie after dinner that night.

Yesterday I headed back to the gym (yes, I'm a pansy) because it was sooo windy out.  I don't do wind.  The gym was empty which was nice, so I got to pick one of the more favorable treadmills (right in back with a TV).  I put on HGTV and went to work.  After a two mile warm up, I went straight into some speed work, 5x800 at 7:00/mi pace then did a cool down mile before I started 3x1 mile hill repeats.  I finished the workout with 9 miles for the day and again starving.  Some jerk at the front desk was eating a cheeseburger when I walked out and I did everything I could not to reach across and grab it out of his hand.

With the weather getting darker earlier and the weather not so fab, I think we should all embrace the treadmill and use it to our advantage.  It's easy to incorporate speed work and really nail paces.  And you can also use the incline to really rock those hill repeats.  Yesterday for my hill repeats, I would start out 1.5% incline and slightly slower than MP, then work up to 4% at MP by the end.  They kick your butt and get the hills in that you need.  I'm going to need some hills workouts since CIM is rollers.  Plus, again, you feel like a badass when you're done ;)

This morning my mamma and I are headed over to a grand opening of a Whole Paycheck Foods that is finally making its way to our neck of the woods.  Yes, we are dorks, but who wants to pass up free food and schwag??  If anything, it will be a fun time to hang with my mamma and get my grocery shopping done (which if you don't know me, is my nemesis!).  I have a medium-long run planned for later in the day when hubbs gets home and so far this week is looking a ton better than last.  Thank goodness, let's just cross our fingers the doc doesn't come back with something that will take it all to a screeching halt!

Have a great Wednesday peeps!
Happy Running!
P.S. Got entered into the lottery for NYC 2011 - who's with me?
P.S.S. Thinking about a half this weekend to catch the 1:37 that I need to qualify - can't decide still.
P.S.S.S. Last one I promise...lost a follower, WTH? 

25 comments:

Katie said...

hurrah for mind over tummy! hopefully it was just an off week and you don't have some kind of weird and contagious running disease. ew.

also, my quads can beat up your quads. just saying.

and ALSO, you're killing it this week. good job. have fun with all the grocery store wackos! hahahaha!

Heather said...

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that a guy was eating a cheeseburger at the gym? I'm all for cheeseburgers, but really . . .

Glad you got in an awesome workout. Hopefully you get good news from the doc and find you just had an off week.

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Hope everything comes back good.

I'm with you for NYC.
Do you think I can fake a 1:37 half to grab my spot?
I lose followers all the time. Whatever.

L.B. said...

I wonder if the people it's cool for the people in the front of a rehab center to crack a beer...

Probably not. A cheeseburger? You should have taken it out of his hands and stomped on it.

There's a half marathon in Riverside this weekend! Some guy you know is running it... just a thought...

RunToTheFinish said...

entered the lottery too!! did not go to the doctor like i should have, bad amanda.

i wish our treadmills had tv's I love running that way!

Anonymous said...

Thankfully the stomach is better and it doesn't mean you are, um, uh, bunning up the oven, so to speak.

Denise said...

heh, i flucuate followers, too. never know what i said that offended someone. oh well!

it's shocking to hear you haven't been feeling well. you'd never know it by your workouts.

i didn't enter the lottery yet. trying to figure out if i want to hold off and qualify for it or not. but i really don't think i'm capable of a 1:37. and i'm dead serious about that one.

Marlene said...

I hate losing followers. :( I promise you, you did nothing wrong. :)

Glad you seem to have a system in place to help with the tummy truoubles.

Awesome job on the cross-training, chica!

Jill said...

Chica, we were going to "qualify" for NYC, not enter the lottery - because it's so much more rewarding that way. Ahhh....well, ok, I hope you get in then if that's your goal race. Glad the tummy is feeling better and crossing my fingers all is good (but wouldn't it be good to know what IS causing the problems??? I remember you walking around post-Boston with a bottle of Pepto. Bleh).

Have fun shopping and getting all the freebies today :).
xoxo

ShutUpandRun said...

I lost a follower too. Probably the same one.

Doesn't the Pepto make your turds black? Maybe just me. But don't be alarmed.

Hope all is fine with you when you get the blood work back.

You are kicking some ass at the gym with your bricks!!

teacherwoman said...

ahhh, hopefully it was just a bad week. Thinking about you!

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

Wasn't me... I'm still a follower ;)

J said...

Well that stinks the doctor didn't have any good info. It could be a deficiency in some vitamin or something. Hopefully the blood tests will find at least something, but nothing bad of course so you can figure out why you have been feeling this way!

I actually enjoy the treadmill in the winter. It is nice to have a set pace for the whole run and know that you are hitting your paces for interval workouts!

ajh said...

Love the whole Paycheck comment or almost comment!

Page said...

You've got 1:37 IN THE BAG! Seriously, I have no doubt in my mind.

Fingers crossed for the results this week!

Jo Lynn said...

You're sure you're not pregnant, right?

Followers come and go, it's not unusual. I don't get it either. ;)

Anonymous said...

Bricks ARE badass :)

Glad to hear you are feeling a little better- hope everything works out :)

Nicole said...

I started taking Pantoprazole (400 mg tablet in the AM) for my tummy aches, and it has really helped. Maybe ask your doctor about it?

LAPT said...

Not sure if I mentioned this to you before, but I started taking 2 pills of acidophilus every day a couple months ago and it has worked WONDERS for me. It's basically a little pill filled with billions of the probiotics found in yogurt that help with digestion. It's pretty cheap at CVS and you can often get a 2 for 1 deal... just keep them in the fridge and pop them with breakfast and dinner!

Ewa said...

Burgers should be outlawed in gyms.
Glad to hear you are doing better. I love ginger tea made with real ginger grated very finely and just a touch of honey.

Ewa said...

Burgers should be outlawed in gyms.
Glad to hear you are doing better. I love ginger tea made with real ginger grated very finely and just a touch of honey.

Kristen said...

Doug is pretty awesome - encouraging, spiritual, what more could a girl want! :)

Sorry there is no news about what has your stomach upset but hopefully you will know soon.

And really who eats a cheeseburger in a gym?

I would LOVE to do NYC - maybe. :) You totally have a 1:37 in you.

Keri said...

I finally have guaranteed entry for NYC! Nothing like being denied three years in a row! I am so excited it is all I have been talking about.

You can totally get a 1:37!

RBR said...

Boo! I am just saying 'Hi' to all the peeps I care about and miss, so "hi!"

I hope the tummy troubles subside soon :(

Jenn said...

Yes-WIND sucks and I am also a member of the wind pansy club!! Hope you get some good results today. That spin sh*t is tough hey! Just learning about that! Whole paycheck foods-isn't that the truth!! Anyway, hope you're feeling LESS craptastic! Running the half?