Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Am I A Bandit?

Quick question for all of you running peeps out there...

I was just contacted by a member of my running group who said he has a friend who can't run on Sunday in the Nike Women's Half Marathon in San Francisco.  This was a race I was thinking about doing, but have always been so turned off by the lottery system that I never even give it a shot.  All finishers get at Tiffany necklace and a really nice Nike Tech shirt - both of which I get to keep.  She will even pick up the race kit and pass it along to me.  The only problem is, of course, that I will have to use a bib that has her name registered with it.  It will be an unofficial time for me.



The unofficial time is not such a big deal for me.  It won't be a race that I am running for some major time goal.  Although, I will say that I ran the SF Half Marathon this year in July and had my second fastest half time ever.  The cool weather and the down hills seem to always agree with me.  But I am worried that I am breaking some rules.  I am not a rule breaker.  Okay, okay, you got me - I am a speeder when I drive!  Why must people sit in the FAST lane and go the speed limit!  Get over!  I've got places to be!  But other than that, I am a girl that sticks to the rules!  It's the type A in me, give a girl a break!

I also know that if I were to get hurt, there could be some consequences - I wouldn't be the person they were expecting.  Maybe wearing my RoadID at the same time would help? (or maybe cause confusion? - thoughts?)

So I guess my question is: it would be cool to get the necklace, cool to run in the race, cool to run another half marathon and cool to mark this off my list of races, but is it worth it?  I really, really want to run it, but am I just being a bandit?  And no, I know what you are thinking - it sounds like she has already made up her mind.  I haven't.  I was hoping you peeps might have some valuable wisdom for me.
So what do you think...should I do it?

BTW...the race logistics for the race are terrible.  That is one of the reasons why I haven't committed to this race in previous years.  Everyone finishes on the Great Highway and then is bussed back to the finish line festivities in Union Square.  Oh and did I mention - you have to pay $10 for the bus ride back? Yeah, those Nike people really have this money making thing down (they have also sucked me in with convincing me Nike shoes, shirts, shorts, skirts, socks are the only ones I need!).  Even the on line page is hard to navigate...not very user friendly.
And here is the line to see all the wonderful Nike information! 

2 comments:

Tara said...

I'm not sure what the etiquette is on this, but I'd TOTALLY do it for the necklace!!! Let us know what you figure out.

Unknown said...

I say do it. You won't get hurt. And if you're cool with your time being not your own, then definitely do it. The shirts are really cute and the necklace is too. Worth the $10 bus ride. :)