Friday, November 20, 2009

My Biggest Fan

Well, next to Ari that is!  Today is my mom's birthday.  And yes, this is a running blog, but she really has a big part in my running.  My husband used to have to work weekends, and my mom was one of the few people who would show up at every one of my races to support me.  She was the original running sherpa.  My very first race was the Lake Tahoe Half Marathon in 2006.  Little did I know what I had gotten myself into, and she was a little more than apprehensive when I signed up.  The race is in the Sierra's, and the elevation is around 7,000 feet with a massive hill that starts at 6,000 feet and climbs to almost 6,900 in just under a half mile.  It is dubbed the "Hill from Hell," and when you reach the top they have the aid station peeps dressed like Angels!  She believed in me though, and was waiting for me at the end with tears in her eyes as I crossed the finish line in two hours and nine minutes.  She was the best substitute for Ari I could have asked for.

She is the rock to our family.  We haven't always been the best of friends but she has always loved and supported me even when I didn't think so.  She is my best friend now, someone I look forward to hanging out with and just chit-chatting.  Everyone I meet always tells me how awesome it is to have her as a mother.  And they are right.  I am one lucky girl.  She hadn't missed a race until this year when Ari was finally able to have weekends off and accompany me.  But even this year, she has shown up at most all of them and always still gets misty eyed when I cross the finish line.

This was at the SF Half this year (my dad's gonna kill me 'cuz he hated this one!)

She is always the voice of reason and always takes Ari's side! :(  She see's the good in all people and lives her life everyday to the fullest.  We would all be very smart to take a page out of her book.  I am one lucky girl and can't thank her enough for all she does for me and Ari and our entire family.  Plus, she is just crazy about her grand-dog Lilly who goes to her house everyday for doggy-daycare! :)  Happy Birthday mamma, thank you!

I am a bit of a stress case right now.  Thanksgiving will be at our house this year.  My husband's family is coming and it is always interesting to say the least.  Unfortunately, my husband doesn't have a very good relationship with his sister (neither do I) and it always makes it a bit tense.  She lives in Berkeley, for any of you that are in the Bay Area that should give you a clue of what we're up against, and let's just say her way of thinking doesn't always mix so well at the dinner table, or many occasions for that matter.  Earlier this year we lost my father-in-law to brain cancer and I know that the holiday will be a bit difficult for my mother-in-law, hubbs and his sister.  He was a professional chef and was an awesome cook.  He always did a beautiful job with Thanksgiving and I hope to not let him down.  So, along with cooking Thanksgiving, hosting 11 people, I am also running a Turkey Trot 10K that morning.  It's at 8:30 am!  Why couldn't they start it at 7 or 7:30?!  I have a bird to cook people!  But I am going to enjoy my race and hopefully my mom can keep me sane for the rest of the day!  I have a feeling a lot of wine will be consumed! :)

I am cleaning house, running lots and getting ready for Thanksgiving this weekend.  I am so ready for this Friday it isn't even funny!
To all my peeps racing this weekend, especially Aron, Densie, and Natalie - go get 'em girls!  You're gonna rock it!  I see a BQ Denise!
Happy Weekend and Happy Running! :)






12 comments:

Jill said...

Katie, that's an awesome post! I struggled with my mom at times in high school but something clicked in college and we became good friends! She passed away when I was only 25 (that was a LONG time ago - ha) and I think about her every single day. I'm so glad you have this time together. I'm sure I'll comment again before turkey day but try not to stress about the sis-in-law; life's too short, as I can attest, to worry about people that weigh you down. I recently had to de-face someone because of this very issue and I'm okay with that! Have a great weekend. Run well! Thanks for the email, too :).

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Happy Birthday to your mom!!! How wonderful to have such amazing support!

Sounds like you will have your hands full for Thanksgiving. How blessed you are!!

Try and enjoy the experince and don't let people differences get on your nerves! Just enjoy the company.

You can always go for a run and pound it out later!! have a great weekend!

Sarah said...

Aww I love your mom too. She is the sweetest!!

Good luck with Thanksgiving! Tim and I do it every year at our house with his fam and mine all together. It can be a bit chaotic and definitely takes prep, but it's really worth it. I hope you will have a great run and a wonderful day! Let me know if you need any tips on stuff. :) Or help! I'm off on Wednesday to get things ready.

Jenn said...

What a nice post to your mama! My mom has always been incredibly supportive of my running endeavors as well! Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Wine does wonders (unless you accidentally word vomit everything you would normally think and not say!!) Good Luck on the race-I'm sure you'll nail it!

Aron said...

YAYYYY happy birthday mom!!!!

thanks for the shoutout :) hehe. have a great weekend girlie!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday mom!

I'm hosting Thanksgiving too and it's freaking me out! Luckily my family is pretty mellow and won't care if I screw it up :)

Heather said...

What a great tribute to your mom! My mom too is my biggest fan, and comes to all my races. Hope the Thanksgiving goes well.

RunToTheFinish said...

it really is a special blessing to have a wonderful mother and to share your life with em.

thanksgiving sounds like it will be interesiting

Tara said...

Happy Birthday Mom!!!

Katie, what a great tribute to your mom on her BD. You are so sweet.
Good luck with having T-giving at your house. Better you then me girl!!

N.D. said...

awww how sweet! happy birthday mama!!

Teamarcia said...

Happy Birthday to your "Running Sherpa"!
I'm with you on the Thanksgiving stress too.:0

Denise said...

Hey, I just read your BQ race report. Brought tears to my eyes...altho I've been teary all day reliving yesterday! It's an incredible feeling, isn't it? Can't really describe it to a non runner as I've been trying to all day to people. GREAT job!!! I hope you're still on that high!