Friday, April 2, 2010

Friday Flip-Flops

So thankful that this week is OVER!  Less than two weeks left of tax season and only 17 days until Boston.  You can do anything for two weeks, right?  That's what I'm telling myself at least :)

Many of you are doing March Reviews.  And instead of being a copy cat like I always am, I'll sum it up in a few short words: done, done, done.  I got in most of my planned runs.  If I were to dwell on what could have been then I might not be able to stay so positive for the next few weeks.  So, I'm going to move forward in to April, as I celebrate finishing another marathon training cycle and my victory lap in Boston.  It wasn't the worst month of running by any means.  I had some good runs and some good training - but it is always hard to look back and see you missed one or two key work outs and not beat yourself up.  To date, this was the most difficult marathon training cycle that I have ever faced.  But the good thing is, I learned so much from it.  I learned to roll with the punches.  I learned what my body truly needs to be successful, and more and more, I am learning not to sweat the little things.  Oh God, I may be becoming that wise 30 year old I was always so afraid of! Ha!
On to the running!!

I have been pretty consistent this week and was able to get in all my scheduled runs that I had planned.  I had a rough beginning of the week with some things at home, but for the first time I really just let my running take over and help me to leave all the stress on the road.  Ah, cheap therapy!
Monday, when I got home from work I was just not feeling like running.  But as the saying goes, I know I would regret it if I didn't head out there.  So I laced up my shoes and headed out in the cold!  As pretty as last week was, this week the weather has been wet, windy and COLD!  I did a quick warm up mile then just put my head down and ran.  I only had miles to get in, no sort of pace to really focus on.
7 miles 54:09  7:44/mi pace  This was a really feel good run.  The wind was AWFUL!  And aside from the humid temps, I really enjoyed my time with the pavement :)
Yes, I still ran in my sports bra - it was humid!
Oh, and you like our green pool?  We have a hunch the pool guy has taken an extended vacation.  Nice!  Don't worry, it's on my list of things to do!

I have been switching my rest day from Monday to Tuesday after I spoke to my friend Sam.  Usually I have a good run on Sunday and my legs are in need of moving still by Monday.  So, to get the kinks out, I have been hitting up Monday then resting on Tuesday.  I have to say, I am actually liking this new plan.  My legs are good and tired by Tuesday and the rest is much more appreciated. 

By Wednesday the wind had really kicked in and the rain had come.  I don't do wind, as I think I have said about a zillion times here.  And with a speed workout on the books for me, I decided to hit up the gym and dreadmill to get it done.  I know we all loathe the dreadmill, but it is pretty awesome for speedwork.  On the track or street, it is so easy to stop running in between sets, but on the treadmill I don't ever want to hit stop!  So it is easy to hit all your strides.  I had 5x1200 at sub 5K pace with 400 rests at 7:30 in between on the books and I was eager to bust these out.  I was so stoked when I finished this run.  I hit all my paces and my times!  I think this is the fastest I have ever ran on those damn machines!
8 miles 58:01  7:15/mi pace.  My last mile was actually ran at 6:52.  Whoo hoo!

Yesterday my SIL and nephew came into town for spring break and I wanted to catch up with them before they headed home. But I also wanted to be able to do my medium long run.  With the time constraint of them leaving though I was worried I would miss them!  My rents live just about 2.5 miles away.  So I did a 5K in the opposite direction, then did a 5K back towards them and got another speed work in.  Awesome!
1st 5K  23:58  7:43/mi pace
2nd 5K  23:28 7:34/mi pace

Today I am going to head out with Sarah to get one of her last medium long runs in before Santa Cruz!  I am excited to run with her, she has made so much progress!!  Yeah!  And tomorrow, I have my last 20 miler to do.  I will have to go to work afterwards, but I don't want to jeopardize this last long one.  Wish me luck!

Wow, that was a long running recap!  I guess that is what happens when you don't post all week!  Enjoy your weekend, and Happy Easter!  I hope the Easter Bunny is good to all of you!!  I see some peanut M&M's in my future :)
Happy Friday and Happy Running peeps!



12 comments:

L.B. said...

I've been super-busy the last few weeks and have just been happy to find time to run. I'm glad your busy time is almost over.

Those are some wickedly awesome paces you've got there. As always, I'm in awe.

¡Feliz dia de Pascua!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

What are you going to do to celebrate after tax season and Boston? Something good I hope!

Rock that 20 miler girly!

Denise said...

very true...we need to be able to roll with the punches during training. not everything is going to go as planned. so exciting that boston is so close...wish it didn't sell out before i qualified or i'd be heading there, too!!

Sarah said...

YAY only 17 days left!!! I'm so excited for you!

Love the pink hat, and I totally laughed at you and your bra. I've been wearing mine out a lot lately too.

And girl, you are FAST! I dream of the day I can run anywhere near times like that! I love it!!

Happy EASTER! :)

N.D. said...

the tuesday rest day sounds great! glad you only have 2 weeks to go and Boston is getting so close! how exciting.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I love the victory lap being the Marathon.. I thought I was stressed.. hugs to you and TAPER madness I will be there soon..

Anne said...

Done, done, done :) I like that! Congrats to you...enjoy the taper and yay for Boston!

Jenn said...

Great Job Katie! Wish I could run in a sports bra! I'm thinkin' the 3 kids might have done some damage however and I should probably save the freakshow for inside my own house!! Your paces are awesome! Good luck on the last long one! I did my last 20 today!

ajh said...

The treadmill is what works for speed and tempo. It doesn't let you cheat or not make it. Sounds like you had some good workoutsl Enjoy your winddown to Boston.

Anonymous said...

After tax season ANd running Boston you deserve to have a little pampering!!

Anonymous said...

After tax season ANd running Boston you deserve to have a little pampering!!

Christina said...

Good luck on your 20 miler and thank goodness tax season is almost done. I have to file and extension and need to do that soon. I will continue to stress about getting my paperwork together even with the extension.

Happy run, easter and final two weeks of tax season.