Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sigh of Relief

First off, I just want to say thank you to all of you who left me such kind and warm messages regarding my Bro.  I am happy to report that he landed safe and sound in Sacramento yesterday and we are all finally breathing a sigh of relief.  These past 6 days have been the most trying times for my family, but we held together strong and it has really given us a renewed sense of how lucky we all are.  Thank you again to all of you.  It was really therapeutic to put out there to all of you the trials we were facing and the thoughts and fears that were swarming around in my head.  I know this is a running blog, but sometimes life isn't always rainbows, sun shine and running.

In other news, I am sick!  Like, really, really sick.  I think I caught this cold/throat/nasty thing from one of my clients.  Sometimes during tax season it can feel like I am working at 7-11.  You get all kinds in here - that is one thing about taxes, it doesn't escape any of us.  And as often I wash my hands and wipe down my desk a zillion times, I am bound to get hit with something.  You would think my immune system would be awesome with how healthy I am, but alas I got hit!  I went to the doctor yesterday and she doesn't think it's strep throat, but I am still waiting on the lab result.  I did find out though, that my blood pressure was excellent (108/50) and my pulse is awesome, too! (61 bpm) - not bad!  I just feel like crud though and am back in the office today.  The worse part of this crud is that I have a killer sore throat.  It was so bad yesterday I was crying every time I swallowed!  I stayed home yesterday from work and doing that during tax season, missing just one day, is a death sentence.  I came into my office and desk today with it piled high with stuff!  So I am going to plug away and see how long I can last.  It's funny, Monday night, the night before I cam down with this monster, I had one of my best speed workouts in a while!  Go figure!

Oh, and I signed up yesterday and was accepted for the Boston 5K the day before the marathon.  This cheered me up a bit.  I am going to totally "jog" it, like 9-10 min pace just to get the kinks out of my legs.  I don't even care if I come in last place!  It will be fun, as it goes by tons of Boston landmarks and you get a medal!  Whoo hoo!

I also had this really fun giveaway/challenge all set up and ready to post yesterday but I think I will wait tomorrow because it is no fun creating a challenge you can't even participate in!  So look for that to come in the next few days. 

Thank you again to all of you for your support and kind thoughts these past few days, it meant the world to me to know all of you were thinking/praying/sending good thoughts our way - I think it paid off :)
I am off to try to catch up on some blogs, to think I didn't even have the energy to do that yesterday!
Happy Thursday and Happy Running peeps!
**And go and check out the awesome giveaway on Marcia's blog - just don't enter, I really need those kettleballs!

13 comments:

Pining for Pinterest said...

I hope you get better quickly. That is funny that your slow pace is my race pace :-) I hope you have a great day and you get caugt up soon on all of your work :-)

Heather said...

I am so glad your brother is home - I was thinking about you and your family yesterday hoping he made it home safely.

Sorry you are sick - feel better soon! And I highly doubt you will come in last place at the Boston 5K. :)

Sarah said...

So glad to hear Michael is home safe and sound and we can all breathe a sigh of relief! :)

Sorry to hear you are sick. Me too. Go figure. :( Sore throat and congested. Sucks!!

Hope your day goes fast so you can get home and rest up.

Anonymous said...

Ack- I hope you feel better soon!

Jill said...

I'm so glad your brother is home, as I mentioned to ya yesterday. I was so worried and concerned; it's no wonder you got sick, you were so worried and stressed and that's when our bodies can't fight the crud. I'm a classic example.

I wish you were running with me around the Boston neighborhoods instead of the h5K :( but you're going to have fun.

Rest up, girl and get better! I hope this thing doesn't take 3 week of your life like it did mine cuz you never get caught up so be smart!!

Love ya!!
xo

Sam Felsenfeld said...

OK, so I just found your blog and read about your brother ... WOW, that's scary stuff. Good to hear he's back home safe. I was just shaking my head reading that recap — scary stuff. Unreal. Pretty impressive that you can keep your blood pressure and pulse so low during such a stressful time.

Hope you get back on track soon enough w the running, health, etc.

Ewa said...

isn't life like a roller coaster full of ups and downs?
Glad to hear your brother is safely out of there.
It is quite possible that all that stress you went through just lowered your immune response to the bug. I am a very strong believer that the fitter we are the better equipped we are to fight bugs but then comes stress...
Pamper yourself and feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

I was feeling great until I found out that 9-10 minute pace = jog.

Sigh...

ajh said...

Glad your brother is home. Feel better soon. Excited to see what the giveaway is.

Christina said...

I agree. It is tough being a landlord. If you give me your email I'll send you a checklist/supplies list I've put together. The most important thing to bring are earplugs for a long relay like that.

RunToTheFinish said...

I am totalllly sure that all the stress broke down your immune system. I hope some hot tea, maybe some couch time and just relaxing will get you back up.

Hmm mabye I can qualify for boston next year, is that going to be our only chance of meeting up!

N.D. said...

so glad your brother is ok! I was wondering what crazies would do the 5k the day before when I was there last year, but really, it is a great warmup for marathon monday!

Anonymous said...

Nice meeting you yesterday!!! Hope to have many runs in the future!