Thursday, March 18, 2010

Thankful Thursday

I first need to say that I stole borrowed this idea from the wonderful B.o.B. today since I am out of ideas for the week - thanks girly!

I am always attempting to be the glass is half full person, and 99% of the time I am cheery-chipper Katie.  But tax season, marathon training, and allergy season are all weighing me down this week so I thought I needed to remind myself just how lucky I am!

  • I am thankful for my prison sentence job.  It is crazy hectic right now and I know many people who are out of work right now who would kill to be able to go to work each day.  I really enjoy the work I do, it's my boss and co-workers that are brining me down.  But I do not have the power to change them, only myself so I am going to look on the bright side, only 28 days left in tax season and only 32 days to Boston!
  • I am grateful for my legs.  This week has been very trying on my legs and my head.  They are like lead this week!  It can only mean one thing: I left it all out there on Sunday and that is something to be proud of :)  I have never had such tired legs after a half marathon.  I attribute this to the fact that I had probably really drained myself of nutrients and tore my legs up good.  Each run this week has been trying, they are heavy and just don't want to turn over.  Plus, it has been wicked hot by the time I get home to get a run in.  72 degrees each day and I am melting!  How did spring get here so fast?  Needless to say, I am so grateful I have my health to be able to go out and run - no matter how draining or tiring it's been!
  • I am grateful for Sunday's.  I will be working 6 days a week until the end of tax season.  Sunday is my long run day and my day to relax.  Hahaha, I just put long run and relax in the same sentence!  But it's the truth...its a mental health day that is so needed during this season.  I can catch up on the growing piles of laundry, actually get to the grocery store for my poor husband and relax and watch all the Project Runway shows on my DVR.  Yes, Sundays are fantastic :)
I let my legs rest on Monday, but I hit the road on Tuesday and felt like I had been hit by a Mac truck!  Long days at work, coupled by the warm weather and everything in bloom are making me drained even before I hit the road.  I will say though, I get a lot of attention right now as I run the streets of my neighborhood in my sports bras and shorts!  You would think people have never seen a chic in a sports bra before! 
6 miles  49:06  8:11/mi pace  I had to stop at a ton of stoplights and I even took a breather at one point since I was melting. 
Wednesday was the same.exact.run.  I ran the same 6 mile loop and hit almost every single stop light imaginable.  Oh, and my time was nearly the same! :)
6 miles  49:04  8:11/mi pace  I had 8 on the books but couldn't bring myself to keep going when I passed my house for the one mile out and back to finish.  I was mentally drained on this one.  I am really freaking out about Big Sur this week.  My legs are toast and I only ran a half marathon!  I have visions that Big Sur will be one nice long 26.2 mile walk along the coast of California. 

Thanks to all of you who have signed up for the core challenge!  We have a lot of participants and I am using all of you as motivation to get my own a$$ in gear when I get home from a run! 

And thanks to all of you who have donated to our Relay fundraising.  We are almost more than halfway to our goal - but this is two busses of over achievers and we would really like to pass the $600 goal!  If you haven't been able to donate yet, head on over there and let me know you did!  There is a special giveaway for the person who donates the most!  Thanks again!

Happy Thursday and Happy Running peeps!

17 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

talk about consistent. How did you manage to run that route in almost exactly the same time. Thanks for motivating me with the core challenge! My kids think I am crazy. I just keep sneaking in crunches. They turn around and I am on the floor. It's rather funny!

Angela and David said...

Man, I would kill for some 72 degree temps. I need some heat desperately.

If your legs don't come around this week you might want to give them a little time off again. Better to be undertrained than overtrained, especially when you have back to back marathons planned.

Pining for Pinterest said...

I agree with Angela about the time off. I hope you have a great day!

Teamarcia said...

Your body is going to recover and rest up and you'll be ready to rock Boston in 1 MONTH AND 1 FREAKING DAY!!!!

Anonymous said...

You don't have to do our taxes. That must be a relief!

Ewa said...

I am noticing that when i am stressed out my legs get tired sooner and i don't recover fast. so while running helps with my stress, stress takes toll on my running.
and speaking of taxes... we have not even started on ours. you're saying only 28 more days? i can just see us filing on the 15th.

Heather said...

Boston will be like your nice reward for surviving and training through tax season! You'll have to buy yourself some special Boston gear while you are there. :)

Heidi said...

72° - NICE! I can't wait for those temps. We're almost hitting 60 here and it's heaven!

My Mom encouraged me to become an accountant when I was younger. I'm so glad I didn't. I listen to what they go through during this time of year and it's crazy. I got enough to do in-office bookkeeping plus a bit more and that's as far as I want to take it.

Your legs should come around by next week.

Jill said...

I'm doing well on my core crunches, girl! You'd be proud! I want your tax season to hurry up and get over so we can "chat" more. You're so awesome!! Have a great run on Sunday...I'll be thinking about you!
Hugs!!! :)

Sarah said...

You are so close to Boston now! I'm excited!!

I love your three thankfuls. Especially the job. I may not love mine, but at least I have one!

L.B. said...

32 days 'til Boston?? Is that all?? How exciting!!

Tax season... ick. We're getting our taxes done on Monday. I'm kinda looking forward to it but kinda not. Our poor tax guy always gets a workout because we have to find so many deductions for me since I'm a freelancer and all. Last year I had business trips to Seattle, Mexico City and Costa Rica, and I bought a laptop, so that's going to be extra fun for him :)

Jess said...

We have already received (and spent) our tax return. So, you don't have to do ours...this year ;)

Sam Felsenfeld said...

I always run the day after a long run, just an easy 6 miler (like, 9/min miles, so slow and easy), then take the second day off and I seem to recover pretty well. DOMS doesn't usually get me. Well, except this week. This week I didn't run after Catalina, and granted that was a demanding course, but I've struggled this whole week. I don't know if your schedule permits, but you should try running on Mondays and resting on Tuesdays and seeing how that goes for you.

X-Country2 said...

Yay for spring! Hopefully April 15 gets here very soon for you.

Tara said...

I have the opposite problem, I love my co-workers, but hate being an Accountant. One of these days I'm going to quit and just go work with dogs all day.

Sounds like you are doing great with your training even though I know it's tough trying to fit everything in. Hang in there, only one more month!

teacherwoman said...

I came across your blog from Amanda's! Sounds like you are doing awesome with your training, given you are crazy busy with tax season! Enjoy Big Sur this weekend!

N.D. said...

I like the thankful thursday idea: job, legs,and your day off. :)